Prep time: 15 minutes
-2 egg whites OR meringue powder
-1/4 tsp almond extract OR lemon juice
-1 lb confectioner's sugar
-artificial flavoring (optional)
1. Mix the sugar, egg whites, and almond extract together on low speed for 1 minute. Now, whip for 10 minutes on high speed. I cheated, and only whipped for 5 minutes, but the mixture wasn't grainy at all, which is ultimately what you are going for.
2. Divide the icing into small bowls.
3. Add different food coloring to each bowl. If desired, add different flavors to each as well.
4. Pour each color into a seperate sandwich bag and seal each bag tightly.
5. Cut a very small hole in the corner of each bag.
6. Lay a piece of wax paper over a cookie sheet. Slip the template under the wax paper. Squeeze one drop of icing at a time onto the paper, where you can see the dots through the paper. This was a long and tedious process for not a lot of yield. I did 2 rows of each color and then called it quits.
7. As you can see, my buttons looked more like Hershey's kisses or something. How do they get perfectly round? My hand is just not that steady. Store in a cool dry place overnight.
8. Once candy has hardened, store in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.